These crispy, thin, salty snacks are an great snack for on-the-go or a great lunch if you were to have them with dips such as hummus or even salsa.
The dough for these little grissini breadsticks is basically thinly rolled out pizza dough which is super easyyy to make.
The great thing about grissini breadsticks is that they have a rustic style so you do not need to spend ages on the presentation of them; which is a massiveee bonus and makes them even less time consuming!
Grissini Breadsticks Recipe (Makes 24):
60g Wholemeal Flour
180ml Warm Water
7g Active Dry Yeast
180g Plain Flour
3tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil plus extra to grease the bowl
1 and a 1/2 tsp Salt
Topping Options: Finely chopped fresh or dry herbs, Parmesan Cheese, Poppy Seeds, Sesame Seeds, Salt or Black Pepper.
1. Combine the wholemeal flour, water, yeast and honey in an bowl till well combined. Leave for 10 minutes until the mixture is bubbly and foamy.
2. Add the plain flour, olive oil and salt to the mixture, mix till well combined. Knead for 10 minutes until smooth.
3. Place the ball of dough into an lightly oiled bowl, cover with a towel and leave to rise in an warm place for 1 hour or until doubled in size.
4. Preheat the oven to gas mark 7 and line 2 large trays with butter and flour or baking paper.
5. Once the dough has risen punch the dough and then if adding herbs or any other spices knead them in now.
6. Pat the dough into an rectangle. Slice this rectangle into very thin slices long ways. Roll these slices out to your desired length for the grissini breadsticks and place onto the baking tray.
7. If you wish to coat the breadsticks in any topping such as poppy seeds or Parmesan cheese now is the time to do it.
8. Leave to rest for 15 minutes until they get a bit more puffy.
9. Bake the grissini breadsticks in the preheated oven for 15 minutes checking on them every 5 minutes to ensure they do not burn.
10. Leave to cool and then hey presto easy as pie you have a batch of homemade grissini breadsticks!