Cold days, warm buildings, snuggled up at home with a blanket surrounded by the sweet smell of cinnamon, ginger, cloves and Christmas trees. Yes, its that time of year again. The Christmas season has begun! With Christmas being my favourite time of year I thought I would try and blog at least 10 times in the lead up to Christmas as there are just to many recipes associated with Christmas to narrow them down!
What better way to start the Christmas season of than with a gingerbread latte. Carrying the sweet smells of ginger and cinnamon all in a warming mug of coffee; this is the perfect winter warmer for those cold short days. Personally gingerbread lattes are my all time favourite Starbucks drink so I thought why not try to recreate this at home. And voila that is exactly what I did.
I was shocked to find out just how simple it was to create this warming yummy drink. As essentially it only requires 3 simple ingredients; ginger, cinnamon and vanilla extract.
*Disclaimer this recipe is not my own it has been adapted from sweethappylife.com*
Ingredients for syrup:
2 cups water
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
2 teaspoons ground ginger
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Ingredients for Gingerbread latte: (1 serving)
1/2 cup of milk
1/2 cup of coffee
3-4 tablespoons of gingerbread syrup
Ground cinnamon (to sprinkle on top)
1. Combine the water, sugar, cinnamon and sugar in a saucepan and bring to the boil whisking continuously. 2. Reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes stirring frequently, remover from the heat once the syrup has thickened.
3. Remove from the heat add the vanilla extract and allow the syrup to cool before use. (Once left to cool the syrup can be stored for up to 2 months in a container in the fridge-shake well before using after the syrup has been refrigerated.)
4. Add the desired amount of syrup into a mug, pour in the milk and stir until combined. Heat the milk syrup until hot and pour back in the mug.
5. Pour the brewed coffee into the mug.
6. Top with whipped cream and a sprinkle of cinnamon.
This gingerbread latte went down a treat and I can guarantee I will be drinking a lot of them this during this Christmas season
Mum: "This is better than the Starbucks gingerbread Latte."